TNT | November 30
Trying to lose weight but cannot keep your hands off those deep-fried chips? Don’t worry you aren’t the only one. The good news is that you don’t need to say no to snacks if you are on a weight loss program. All you need is smart snacking!
1. GREEK YOGURT: Greek yogurt is a perfect treat if you have a sweet tooth and are aiming to lose weight. The best thing about Greek yogurt is that it makes you feel full even without loading you up with calories and sugar. It is rich in protein and calcium, thus making a great snack for weight watchers.Not all Greek yogurts are healthy to have. Choose the ones which have lowest sugar content and no artificial sweeteners. To give it a twist, you can add cinnamon powder or ginger which also controls blood pressure and appetite.
*cup (100 grams) of Greek yogurt has 59 calories
2. MIXED NUTS: Good to taste and easy to store, nuts can help you lose weight if consumed in moderation, claim studies. Nuts are very filling and have a perfect balance of fat, protein and fibre. Apart from weight loss, they are said to reduce risk of heart disease, prevent certain types of cancer and depression.
*100 grams of nuts contains 359 calories.
3. OASTED CHICKPEAS: We often crave for something crunchy and then end up eating a packet of chips. Try replacing chips with a handful of roasted chickpeas. Chickpeas are suitable to have at any time of the day and you can give them a twist by roasting them and turning it into a healthy salad.
A study proved that weight watchers who were given half a cup of chickpeas every day consumed fewer calories. In fact, when these people stopped having chickpeas, they began to snack more on less healthy food.
You can roast chickpea in olive oil with a little salt and pepper or you can also bake them in a pre-heated oven.
*100 grams chickpeas have 364 calories.
4. BANANA WITH PEANUT BUTTER: As a snack, carrying a banana and peanut butter with you is a very healthy habit. A banana gives you carbs which help relieve constipation. Adding a teaspoon of peanut butter to it gives you protein which keeps you satiated.
*1 banana with a teaspoon of peanut butter has 137 calories
5. BEAN SOUP: If you have easy access to a microwave or hot water, nothing can be better than having a cup of bean soup. Beans are extremely nutritious as they contain iron, B Vitamins, protein, fibre and polynutrients (beneficial plant compound).
Beans are rich in antioxidants and are also the cheapest source of protein.
*1 cup bean soup has 137 calories.
6. PROTEIN BARS: Protein bars are the easiest to carry around wherever you go. But make sure you don’t munch on a sweet candy bar and load up on sugar while aiming to eat healthy. Choose a protein bar which has 300 calories or less. Protein bar has high-quality protein that comes from animal product or soy. They also give you essential amino acids that help you build muscle mass.
*Protein bars are one of the ideal snacks if you are on a weight loss program as they are low in calories and high in protein.
Source : The Times of India
Featured image courtesy: The Gazette Review